South Africa :: Northern Cape (Namakwaland)
Category: Attraction :: Mission Station
Be the first to submit a link
The Pella Mission was founded by the London Missionary Society (LMS) in 1814. It was known to be a sanctuary for Khoisan that were driven out of Namibia. They named the village after the one that gave refuge to Christians in Macedonia in biblical times. The mission was abandoned in 1872 because of a drought and was reopened by the Roman Catholic Church in 1878. Surrounding date palms give the old cathedral a curiously Arabian atmosphere. It took two missionaries seven years to complete the church by using the encyclopaedia as their building manual. The Pella Mission is set in a sandy plain backed by high sun-baked hills which are coloured by the minerals in the soil. A natural spring gives life to the figs, grapes and pomegranates grown at Pella and the garden is surrounded by a wall. Pella's dates are sold in wooden boxes to mail-order customers all over South Africa.
|Address :||Pella, Namakwaland, South Africa|
|Landing Strip Nearby|
Be the first to leave a comment.
Be the first to submit a link or media file