South Africa :: Western Cape (Cape Metro)
Category: Attraction :: Mission Station
Be the first to submit a link
Mamre is situated between Darling and Atlantis on the R307, 45 km north of Cape Town. It was first settled in 1701 when the Governor of the Cape, Willem Adriaan van der Stel decided to establish a military and cattle post in this area to protect the European settler's cattle from theft by the indigenous Khoi Khoi people. In 1808, when the Cape Colony was again under British control, the region was transferred to the Moravian Missionaries, Kohrhammer and Schmidt who established a thriving mission station there in 1967. The double-ended church and parsonage in Main Road, Mamre, were declared national monuments. The original water mill has been lovingly restored and is today used as a museum. Today the mission complex at Mamre provides a peaceful oasis under the oak trees.
|Address :||Main Road, Mamre, Western Cape, South Africa|
|Contact :||Mamre Moravian Church|
|Contact 2 :||Cape town tourism office|
|Tel :||+27(0)21 576 1134|
|Tel2 :||+27(0)21 521 1080|
Between Darling and Atlantis on the R307, 45 km north of Cape Town.
|Closest Town :||Atlantis|
Be the first to upload an image.
Be the first to leave a comment.
Be the first to submit a link or media file