South Africa :: Northern Cape (Namakwaland)
Category: Places :: Town Small
Be the first to submit a link
Pella is a mission station ±130km east of Springbok on the N7 in the Northern Cape Province of South Africa. Lying in the foothills of the Pella mountains, it was founded by the London Missionary Society in 1814 as a sanctuary for Khoisan driven out of Namibia. Using an encyclopedia as their building manual, it took two missionaries, Father Simon and Father Leo Wolf, seven years to complete the cathedral. The village was named after the one that gave refuge to Christians in Macedonia in biblical times. It was abandoned in 1872 because of drought, but reopened by the Roman Catholic Church 1878. A perennial spring feeds the figs, grapes and pomegranates grown at the mission. Dates grown at Pella are sold all over South Africa. The region around Pella is rich in semi-precious stones.
|Address :||Namakwaland, South Africa|
|Cellphone Reception :||Good||Main Cellular Network :||Vodacom|
|Police Station :||Yes||Police Telephone :||+27(0)54 971 0060|
|Facilities :||Shops, General Dealer, Lodging, Camping, Airstrip|
|Other Facilities :||Library.|
|4WD Trails, Picnics, Hiking Trails, Fishing, Swimming, Canoeing|
Be the first to upload an image.
Be the first to leave a comment.
Be the first to submit a link or media file