South Africa :: Free State
Category: Places :: Town Medium
Be the first to submit a link
Ventersburg is a small town established in 1864 and proclaimed in 1873 in the Lejweleputswa District Municipality of the Free State province of South Africa. The down was developed on the farm Kromfontein originally owned by P. A Venter. It is named after his son, BG Venter who inherited the farm in 1857. A Dutch Reform Church was built in Ventersburg in 1891 but it was burnt down in 1900 by the British during the Anglo Boer War. (One wonders why this was necessary?)The church was re-built in 1912. Ventersburg is an agricultural centre on the N1 highway, 200 km North of Bloemfontein and 50 km south of Kroonstad. The police museum in Ventersburg is the only fully restored police station in the country and obtained national heritage status on 30 May 1987 Sites worth visiting near the town include: The Sand River Convention monument which lies 15km South off the N1 to Winburg. Allemanskraal Dam. Willem Pretorius Game Reserve, overlooking the Allemanskraal Dam.
|Address :||On The N1 Highway, 240km South of Johannesburg and 1180 km Northeast of Cape Town|
|Police Station :||Yes|
|Facilities :||Shops, ATM, Lodging, Butchery, Restaurant|
|Other Facilities :||Fast Food.|
Be the first to leave a comment.
Be the first to submit a link or media file