Namibia :: Namib-Naukluft
Category: Attraction :: Monument/Statue/Memorial
Be the first to submit a link
What is today known as Lüderitz was founded in 1487 by Bartolomeu Dias as Angra Pequena (Portuguese for Small Bay). During the early 19th century it became a trading post and in 1883 Adolf Lüderitz from Germany purchased Angra Pequena from the local Nama chief. When he did not return from an expedition in 1886 Angra Pequena's name was changed to Lüderitzbucht in his honour. The Adolf Lüderitz Memorial was erected on Shark Island in 1953. (Updated Oct-14).
|Address :||Namib Naukluft, Namibia|
Be the first to leave a comment.
Be the first to submit a link or media file