Tanzania :: Tanzania (Zanzibar)
Category: Attraction :: Historical Site
Be the first to submit a link
The Old Slave Market in Stone Town, Zanzibar, was closed by the British in 1873 after the abolishment of slavery in the early 1870s. Until then it was used by Arab traders as a transit holding point for slaves shipped from the mainland of Africa. Legend has it that the slaves were led outside and lined up in order of size. They were tied to a tree and whipped with a stinging branch to determine their toughness. Those who endured the flogging in silence, fetched a higher price in the market. Rather incongruously, the site is presently occupied by The Anglican Cathedral Church of Christ.
|Address :||Stone Town Zanzibar, Tanzania|
Be the first to leave a comment.
Be the first to submit a link or media file