T4A Logo
Africa Map Pin
Advanced Search »

Country Botswana

ID: w241753 View large map

Located in Botswana :: Central Kalahari
Category: Places :: Country

Padkos Links [ submit a link ]

Be the first to submit a link

Description [ correction ]

Botswana is a largely wild and untouched country, dominated by the Kalahari Desert and home to the Okavango Delta, a magnificent wetland fed by water from the Angolan highlands.

The Okavango is the largest inland delta in the world and is a maze of lagoons, secret waterways and palm-dotted islands abound with hippos, crocodiles, antelopes and, of course, a huge variety of birds and smaller animals. It is a unique oasis of life right in the centre of the Kalahari Desert which covers 84% of the country. The word desert is a misnomer, as the Kalahari is indeed covered by vegetation including stunted thorn and scrub bush, trees and grassland.

The Kalahari is more arid savannah than desert. The largely unchanging flat terrain is occasionally interrupted by gentle descending valleys, sand dunes, large numbers of pans and isolated hills.

About 17% of Botswana is national reserves, and wildlife has never been imported or controlled in any way. The protected areas are unfenced; therefore Botswana offers you a true wilderness experience.

Much of Botswana is remote and remains accessible to only a small number of visitors. Botswana is not a cheap country, as the government has taken a high-cost, low-volume approach to tourism to protect the country's natural assets.

However, there are quite a number of campsites available that offer good value for money and makes Botswana affordable for overlanders.

Botswana lies to the north of South Africa and is bordered on the west by Namibia and on the east by Zimbabwe. It connects with Zambia at one point of Namibia's Caprivi Strip that stretches out like an arm over the northern part of Botswana.

Thanks to its diamonds, Botswana is one of the richest countries in Africa. Botswana has a small population and although Gaborone is the capital, Maun and Kasane are the main tourist hubs. For more important travel information on Botswana, please consult the Tracks4Africa self-guide travel book, available on our online shop or in selected retail stores.

Contact [ correction ]
Address : Botswana
Website : Click Here

Directions [ correction ]

Not available

Comments [ leave a comment ]

Be the first to leave a comment.

Extras [ add media ]
External Links Related to Botswana
Veterinary fences in Botswana
Disclaimer: Please note that the Tracks4africa content is researched continuously and the data is updated regularly. Although we endeavour to keep our information as up to date as possible, this is not always possible due to the high volume of listings on our database. Therefore, please treat our information as a guide and reconfirm important items with establishments directly. Please help other travellers, by helping us to keep our data up to date, by submitting data corrections.

Places in the Vicinity

Categories in the Vicinity