South Africa :: Western Cape (Garden Route)
Category: Places :: Town Medium
Be the first to submit a link
The village of Blanco, at the foot of the Outeniqua mountains, was established on the farm Modder River during construction of the Montagu Pass from 1844-1847. It was a work camp that provided housing and workshops for the convicts building the pass. The then, Colonial Secretary, John Montagu, employed an Australian, Henry Fancourt White, to take charge of the operation The name Blanco was a 'play' on the name of this project engineer, White After the completion of the pass, he stayed on in the Cape and on his retirement in 1860, White purchased the derelict camp. He attempted to name it White's Villa, but the name Blanco remained through popular demand.
|Address :||Garden Route, South Africa|
|Facilities :||Shops, General Dealer, Lodging, Restaurant, Mechanical Repair|
|Other Facilities :||Sportsgrounds/Showgrounds. Library. School/s. Factory/s. Packing Services. Upholsters.|
|Picnics, Hiking Trails, Golf|
Be the first to upload an image.
Be the first to leave a comment.
Be the first to submit a link or media file