Africa Map Pin
Advanced Search »

Town Lüderitz

ID: w181220 View large map

Located in Namibia :: Namib-Naukluft  :: Luderitz
Category: Places :: Town


What is today known as Lüderitz was founded in 1487 by Bartolomeu Diaz as Angra Pequena (Portuguese for Small Bay). During the early 19th century it became a trading post and in 1883 Adolf Lüderitz from Germany purchased Angra Pequena from the local Nama chief. When he did not return from an expedition to the Orange River in 1886 Angra Pequena's name was changed to Lüderitzbucht in his honour.

Initially, Lüderitz was a trading post, whale and seal hunting station, fishing village and guano-harvesting town but it enjoyed a temporary surge of prosperity when diamonds were discovered in 1909 in the nearby Kolmanskop. In those days the railway line ran between Keetmanshoop and Lüderitz and the harbour town flourished.

In 1905 German authorities established a concentration camp on Shark Island. The camp operated for two years during the Herero Wars and almost 3 000 Hereros and Namas died here as a result of the tragic conditions of forced labour. Their labour was used for expansion of the town, railway and port and they also worked on the farms of white settlers. A movement to change the town's name back to !Nami#Nûs, its name prior to 1884, has been going on for some time. The appeal of this harbour town lies in the fact that little has changed since the early 20th century. Although this coastline might be inhospitable to people, it is important for coastal seabird breeding.

Traveller Description

Lüderitz is a charming town with beautiful colonial architecture and a touristy waterfront. Apart from a few museums
that are worth visiting, Felsenkirche (Church of the Rock) is a well-known attraction. Historical sites worth seeing
are the stone cross erected by Bartolomeu Diaz at Diaz Point, and the lighthouse.
Activities include wind- and kite-surfing during the windy months and boat cruises for an opportunity to see whales, seals, dolphins and penguins as well as other marine life and sea birds. Visitors should note that the wooden walkway to Diaz Cross has been damaged and is no longer in use, but that the cross can still be reached via the path at low tide. One of
the town’s biggest attractions is a visit to the nearby Kolmanskop ghost diamond town. Guided tours into the Namib Desert and to Pomona and Bogenfels ghost diamond towns in the Sperrgebiet, are also available.

Address :  Sperrgebiet, Namibia
Cellphone Reception :  Good Main Cellular Network :  MTC. LEO

Destination Information
Police Hospital Doctor Tourist Information Office Petrol Diesel Gas Refill Laundromat Shops Shopping Centre Bank ATM Foreign Exchange Internet Cafe Lodging Camping Butchery Bakery Liquor Restaurant Pharmacy Airport Car Rental Tyre Repair Tyre Sales Mechanical Repair Towing Service
Facilities :  Tour Services
Police Telephone :  +264(0)63 202 255
Hospital Telephone :  +264(0)63 202 446
Doctor Telephone :  +264(0)63 202 515
Tourist Information Telephone :  +264(0)63 202 719
Towing Service Telephone :  +264(0)63 203 669
Petrol Type :  LRP/ULP

Other Facilities :  Auto Spares. Library. Retirement Home. Fast Food. Government Services.

Game Viewing Game Drives Quad Bikes 4WD Trails Tours and Excursions Hiking Trails Guided Walks Fishing Swimming Boat Trips Bird Watching
Surfing, Sailing, Whale or Dolphin Watching

Travelling Information

Travellers will find everything they need in this town, the local Spar sells good quality meat.

At the moment the only way to enter the Sperrgebiet National Park is when travelling with a Ministry of Environment and Tourism concessionaire. Tours with the concessionaires start in Lüderitz. Harbour nearby.

Take note: Garage or Petrol cards will no longer be accepted as a legal tender for purchase of fuel, spares or repairs in Namibia.
Cash, Debit and Credit cards are legal payment instruments, but many fuel stations choose NOT to accept Debit and/or Credit cards. But generally credit cards are accepted at garages in bigger and touristy towns. Take extra cash with still in case!

 Travel Tip!

If you are lucky enough to get a wind-free day at Shark Island, stay for longer as this is the most beautiful campsite right
on the sea. Visit the Adolf Lüderitz Memorial that was erected at Shark Island in 1953.

Comments [ leave a comment ]

Be the first to leave a comment.

Extras [ add media ]

Be the first to submit a link or media file

Padkos Links [ submit a link ]

Be the first to submit a link

Disclaimer: Please note that the Tracks4africa content is researched continuously and the data is updated regularly. Although we endeavour to keep our information as up to date as possible, this is not always possible due to the high volume of listings on our database. Therefore, please treat our information as a guide and reconfirm important items with establishments directly. Please help other travellers, by helping us to keep our data up to date, by submitting data corrections.