T4A Logo
Africa Map Pin
Advanced Search »

Border Control Oranjemund Border Post (NAM/RSA-Alexander Bay) 06h00-22h00

ID: w139156 View large map

Located in Namibia :: Sperrgebiet :: Oranjemund Area
Category: Civil Infrastructure :: Border Control

Padkos Links [ submit a link ]

Be the first to submit a link

Description [ correction ]

​Oranjemund Border control is situated between Namibia and South Africa. On the Namibia side you have the town of Oranjemund, and on South Africa's side, Alexander Bay.

A single paved carriage way leads towards the border post crossing at the bridge at Alexander Bay to Oranjemund.

Since October 2017 it is no longer to apply for a permit to enter Oranjemund town or to transit to Rosh Pinah. A permit will only be required for people who need to visit the Oranjemund mining area for business.

Also make sure you have a ZA sticker on your car if travelling from South Africa, which can be purchased at a AA agent or at outdoor retailers, a valid passport for showing at the border, which should be valid for another 6 months from the date you leave South Africa or your relevant country, a valid driver's license (ie. South Africa licenses are valid in Namibia), cash to pay a road user's fee (approx R277 for a car, R177 per trailer/camper.
You can pay by Cash, Credit / Debit Cards here, in South Africa rand or Namibian dollar. It is safer to take enough cash with.

An important point is to note that your vehicle's papers must be in order - proof of ownership of the vehicle or rental company, your drivers license, and a police clearance certificate. The police at the border post will check your engine number, chassis, trailer number and license details. If you own the vehicle, make sure that your insurance is covered while you travel in Namibia. Your bank must also issue you with a letter giving you authorization to take the vehicle across the border, including dates. The bank letter and license papers must be signed by the Commissioner of Oaths. If you are using a rental car, make sure you have a letter from the rental company giving you permission to take the vehicle out of the country.

Contact [ correction ]
Address : Sperrgebiet, Namibia
Postal : P.O. Box 14, Oranjemund, Namibia
Contact : Department of Home Affairs Oranjemund
Contact 2 : Permits
Tel : +264(0)63 232 756
Tel2 : +264(0)63 23 6100
Fax : +264(0)63 232 756
Fax2 : +264(0)63 23 6104
Email : Click Here

Opening Times : [ correction ]

06:00-22:00 (GMT+2) Time Guideline

Directions [ correction ]

Not available

Rates and Payment [ correction ]
Payment Methods Accepted : Cash, Credit Card, Debit Card, Foreign Currency
Types of Foreign Currency Accepted : ZAR, NAD

General Information [ correction ]
Languages spoken : English

Travelling Information [ correction ]
Closest Main Route : Between Alexander Bay (RSA) and Oranjemund (Namibia)
Closest Town : Oranjemund

Travellers reported never having to buy additional car insurance when entering or travelling to Namibia. (2014).

This can be purchased at the border. Reportedly the road fund office is the last loose standing building/office when going into Namibia - just before the gate control boom. (2018).

Pictures [ add a picture ]
Comments [ leave a comment ]

“This is a copy of the reply I got from Namdeb to my query about permits to travel from Alex bay via Oranjemund to Rosh Pinah.It would appear from this that the information on your site is incorrect. Your comments would be appreciated -------- Original message -------- From: Security Permits Date:26/05/2015 09:56 (GMT+02:00) To: Jane Turner Subject: RE: Permits to travel Good day If you are only passing through to Rosh Pinah than you do not need a permit, you only complete a transit form at the gate and you pass through. But if you want to enter Oranjemund Town you will have to complete a application form and the approval process takes 2 weeks. Security Permits Tel: +264 63 236100/236102 Fax: +264 63 236038 Email: [email protected]” - Jane Turner, 2015/06/09

“We recently contacted both Namdeb directly and Namibia tourism [email protected] and this was their reply:" you need to apply for a Restricted Area Permit if you plan to enter or pass through the town of Oranjemund. If you plan on passing around the town in transit to another destination then you do not have to apply for this permit. If you will be staying over in Oranjemund you need to attach the address and details of the person/ place you will be staying at onto your application." On your latest map it says "permit required. I'd be interested to hear your comments which information is correct. The same tourism company also informed us that it is possible to pay the road tax in Rosh Pinah. Again your comments would be appreciated.” - Jane Turner, 2015/06/09

“To cross the bridge at Alexander Bay to Oranjemund you need a permit which is valid until Dec of the year. Phone the Permits office at 00264 63 236100 or email [email protected] They then ask you for 2 copies of your id, signed indemnity form as well as R20 for the police clearance. It takes about 15 workdays for the permit. If you do not have a permit you cannot enter……” - Deon Kotze, 2010/04/14

Extras [ add media ]
External Links Related to Oranjemund Border Post (NAM/RSA-Alexander Bay) 06h00-22h00
Blog article by T4A : What you need to get through the border
Files & media related to Oranjemund Border Post (NAM/RSA-Alexander Bay) 06h00-22h00
Oranjemund town opening press release Oct 2017
Indemnity Form
Security Clearance Application form
Namibia cross border charge
Disclaimer: Please note that the Tracks4africa content is researched continuously and the data is updated regularly. Although we endeavour to keep our information as up to date as possible, this is not always possible due to the high volume of listings on our database. Therefore, please treat our information as a guide and reconfirm important items with establishments directly. Please help other travellers, by helping us to keep our data up to date, by submitting data corrections.