South Africa :: Eastern Cape
Category: Attraction :: Historical Site
Be the first to submit a link
When the railway line between East London and Queenstown was first built it bypassed Stutterheim by several kilometres. It was built during the Frontier War of 1877-1878 when the gangers (railway workers) were in danger of attack by Xhosa tribes. To protect the gangers, fortified 'gangers cottages' were built. Cottage No. 17 is situated on the Komga road which branches off the main road at Dohne Station. The cottage was declared a National monument on 3 December 1976. There are four tambours one on each corner, with slits so that the gangers could defend themselves against attack.
|Landing Strip Nearby|
Be the first to leave a comment.
Be the first to submit a link or media file